- Early College Academy
Brooklyn Center Community Schools Host MN Legislators to Explore the Importance of the Full-Service Community Schools Model
Friday, January 21, 2022
Brooklyn Center Community Schools had the pleasure of hosting members of the Minnesota House and Senate for a virtual visit on Friday, January 21, 2022.
With the help of Education Minnesota, district leaders presented why the community schools model is impactful to the community to over 15 legislators and staff.
This meeting was established to draw attention to legislation that would invest funding for full-service community schools around the state. The bills being considered would invest $90 million for the state’s Full Service Community Schools grant program to provide additional funding for existing community school districts and expand the model across the state.
Brooklyn Center Community Schools staff and school board members took this opportunity to show legislators the impact this model has on this community through the four pillars of the BC model.
- Pillar 1, Integrated Student Support, was celebrated for the work of the Health Resource Center and Family Resource Rooms that support students and families every day with affordable health care and supports the basic needs of the community.
- Pillar 2, Collaborative Leadership and Practice, presented the commitment of our youth researchers and District Parent Advisory Committee members and how their work positively impacts the development of our schools and our services.
- Pillar 3, Expanded and Enriched Learning Time and Opportunities, focused on the engagement and exploration of students learning outside of traditional classroom times.
- Pillar 4, Active Family and Community Engagement, highlighted the responsive actions our community took after Daunte Wright was tragically killed by a Brooklyn Center police officer. This responsive action included opening a resource distribution center that served 1,800 individuals per day with hygiene and paper products, diapers, and fresh food donations.
Brooklyn Center Community Schools thanks the following legislators and staff for spending their valuable time with us: Senators Chris Eaton, Chuck Wiger, Mary Kunesh, Zach Duckworth; Representatives Athena Hollins, Brian Daniels, Hodan Hassan, Jacob Isaacson, Jim Davnie, Kaela Berg, Ruth Richardson, Samantha Vang, Sandra Feist, Sondra Erickson, Sydney Jordan; and MN House DFL Caucus committee administrator, Sydney Spreck.
- Read House File 587 (Chief Author: Rep Mary Murphy) here.
- Read Senate File 199 (Chief Author: Chuck Wiger) here.
- If you do not know who represents you, you can look up both your state and federal elected officials on the Minnesota legislative website.
To learn more about Education Minnesota, visit their website.