Construction Update – November 19, 2019
November 19, 2019 – With the opening of the new main entrance at Brooklyn Center Middle and High School STEAM, the district is about halfway completed with construction projects throughout its buildings. This update will provide information about other projects that have been completed and are still in progress. All construction work will be completed for the start of the 2020-2021 school year.
Brooklyn Center Middle and High School STEAM – Completed
- Main office and front entrance. Staff moved into the main office last Friday and over the weekend to welcome families today. The new entrance was needed to improve security practices with visitors.
- Middle school west wing. This summer, middle school staff and students moved back into the west wing of the building. The updated learning spaces provide a more separated middle school experience and a new commons space specifically for middle school students.
Brooklyn Center Middle and High School STEAM – In progress
- High school north wing. Learning spaces in the north wing of BCS are currently being remodeled and will be completed in April. High school students are taking classes at the temporary BCS south campus during construction. Because spaces won’t be completed until the last month of school, students will remain at south campus through the end of the 2019-2020 school year. High school staff and students will move into the north wing in summer 2020.
- Furnishings. Traditional desks still exist in some middle school classrooms. Updates to furniture and other furnishings will be completed in summer 2020.
Earle Brown Elementary STEAM – Completed
- K-5 classrooms and pods. All classrooms and pods, the common areas for grade levels, were updated for grades K-5 during summer 2019. This included new carpets, paint, furniture and other furnishings.
Earle Brown Elementary STEAM – In progress
- Main office and front entrance. The new main entrance is currently being constructed. The new entrance was needed to improve security practices with visitors. This will be completed in summer 2020.
- Second-level addition. An addition above the Pre-K pod is currently being constructed. This space will be multi-purpose and allow for more STEAM learning to take place during the school day. The addition does not increase the enrollment capacity of EBE.
- Preschool and Pre-K classrooms. Following the completion of the second-level addition, preschool classes will move from the Community Corner to EBE for classes starting in fall 2020. Pre-K classrooms will also be remodeled with updated furnishings.