- Brooklyn Center Community Schools
- COVID-19 Updates
BCCS to shift to distance learning on Monday, November 16
November 6, 2020 – Due to increases of COVID-19 cases in our community, Brooklyn Center Community Schools will shift from the limited campus hybrid model to distance learning for all students in grades E-12 starting Monday, November 16. As of Thursday, November 5, cases in Brooklyn Center were 61.2 cases per 10,000 people; and 37.6 cases per 10,000 in Hennepin County.
We are working with the regional support team of experts from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) and the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) who are providing guidance and consultation to schools across the state.
“I want to acknowledge how this decision may be difficult for many families,” said superintendent Dr. Carly Baker. “The hardships placed on our community at the hands of this pandemic have been staggering. These are unprecedented times. And we believe these tough decisions are necessary in order to protect the health and safety of our students, families, staff and the BC community.”
During the limited campus hybrid model, most students have done their learning off-campus, with a few exceptions. Because of the sharp increase in cases, all students will receive services through our distance learning model beginning Monday, November 16, including:
- All students receiving in-person special education and English language development services will receive all services remotely beginning November 16.
- Students will only be able to schedule virtual appointments with teachers in the distance learning model. Click here to learn more about the distance learning model.
Below is the weekly schedule for all grades E-12 students in the distance learning model:
Staff members will receive specific information about work expectations next week.
Services and supports
- Childcare: Centaur Beginnings and Centaur Plus childcare will continue in their current schedules.
- Meal distribution: Meal distribution will continue in its current schedule. Click here for more information about meal distribution.
- Health Resource Center: Students can continue to make on-site appointments at the Health Resource Center with Park Nicollet on Thursdays from 1-5 p.m. Appointments can also be made with Children’s Dental Services. Click here to learn more about scheduling an appointment.
- Family Resource Rooms: Services are still available over the phone. Click here for more information about the Family Resource Rooms.
More information about the status of athletics and activities will be shared next week.