Academics at Brooklyn Center Middle and High School STEAM
To equip every student with the knowledge, life-skills, and global perspectives to contribute to society and respond to the needs of an ever-changing world.
Our focus for the 2018-19 school year on preparing students for success through college and career. This year, we place an emphasis on our transition grades. We will ensure that our 6th graders join a culture that prepares them for Middle School success and to build strong relationships in our academic community. This year our 9th graders will work in teams to ensure that each student has three to four trusted adults and mentors that build relationships, provide guidance, help them find talents and passions and ensure that they pass all classes at high levels. Lastly, our new “Senior Society” is our program to build a strong senior culture that prepares students for the next educational journey and success in life. This team of teachers, support staff and students are responsible for creating the academic culture at BCS STEAM. We believe that through relationships, opportunity, and accountability this school year will be a year of excellence.
Here are some of our academic highlights that will help us in this focus:
- Rigorous Course offerings in CIS and STEAM
- Principles of Bio-Medical Science and Human Body Systems Courses.
- Partnerships with students attending PSEO courses
- Instructional focus on Culturally and Linguistically Responsive practices and the role of implicit bias within our organization.
- PLTW at the Middle School: Engineering, Coding, Robotics, and Exploration
- A new Middle School Motto: BE You, Be Us, BC.
- A focus on the soft skills that support student learning at high levels.