Every middle school scholar will deepen their learning with semester courses focused on the STEAM pathways in computer science, engineering, and biomedical science. Students will be challenged to test their limits and connect what they learn in the classroom to making a real-world impact. PLTW Gateway illuminates the range of paths and possibilities students can look forward to in high school and beyond. Here’s a look at what our grade 6-8 scholars will be experiencing:
Sixth Grade Scholars will:
- Apply the engineering design process to solve problems and create virtual images of their innovative solutions to everyday problems.
- Study mechanical systems and use the VEX Robotics platform to design, build, and program real-world objects such as traffic lights, toll booths, and robotic arms.
Seventh Grade Scholars will:
- Investigate energy and the environment to design alternative energy sources for reducing consumption.
- Discover computer science principles as they create their own basic apps using MIT App Inventor.
Eighth Grade Scholars will:
- Explore genetic testing and solve a medical mystery by investigating DNA evidence found at a crime scene.
- Study and apply concepts of physics, chemistry, and nanotechnology to make ice cream and clean up an oil spill.