Classroom Celebrations and Events
Brooklyn Center Community Schools is committed to the wellness of all its students. Therefore, party foods, including cupcakes, candy, etc., are not allowed during the school day. Instead, celebrations in the classroom offer an opportunity to focus on the student.
These goals will be achieved by:
- Complying with federal mandates, which state that all foods served or distributed to students during the school day meet certain standards
- Ensuring that students with food allergies or sensitivities are protected and included
- Ensuring that all cultures and religions are respected and included
- Ensuring that students receive more consistent messaging regarding healthy nutrition
- Providing a cleaner and safer environment
The resources provided are intended to generate ideas, as not all the suggestions are aligned with procedures in the various Brooklyn Center Community School District buildings. Please consult with your building administration if you are unsure if a suggestion aligns with the building practices.
Some ideas for classroom celebrations and events (including birthdays):
- Bring a t-shirt or journal book for classmates and teachers to sign
- Provide prizes such as small school supplies (pencils, erasers, stickers, etc.)
- Organize a game or craft for the class
- Donate a book to the classroom library or have a family member read a book to the class
- Volunteer in the classroom
Talk to your student’s teacher in advance about your idea before planning to ensure the most convenient schedule for the class. Thank you for supporting all our students.